Over and above the AWS cluster pricing, and my rental calculations that were part of my Thales User Group presentation, I've struggled to find a reasonable way to calculate this. My most recent reasonable calculation is below.
Current BTC Price: $580
Nvidia GTX 970 Performance: 420 h/s
Current Monero Hashrate: 19.97 Mh/s
Days in a Month: 30.4375
Per this video, by IMineBlocks, he gets about 425h/s on an Nvidia GTX970 once its warmed up (towards the end of the video). Let's call it 420h/s to be conservative.
Most mining rig rental outfits don't support Monero's mining algorithm, but NiceHash have a generic rental option for their farm of GXT970s. They have 50 rigs, with 6 cards a rig, so it's a reasonably sized farm for rent.
They have various pricing levels, and their pricing is in Bitcoin. In addition, the Monero hashrate isn't static, so this exercise is pretty fluid. I've included as much of the raw numbers as possible so that this can be updated from time to time. Please note that numbers are rounded for convenience, but calculations used actual values up to 10 decimal places.
Rental Pricing Options
The pricing below is for a single rig, consisting of 6x GTX970s, which would run at around 2.5 kh/s.
- 3 month rent: 3.75 BTC ($2 175.00), which is $23.8193 per day
- 6 month rent: 5.625 BTC ($3 262.50), which is $17.8645 per day
- 12 month rent: 7.5 BTC ($4 350.00), which is $11.9097 per day
Thus, at each of those levels this is what it would cost -
- 3 month rental pricing: $9.4521 per-kh/s-per-day
- 6 month rental pricing: $7.089 per-kh/s-per-day
- 12 month rental pricing: $4.7260 per-kh/s-per-day
Based on a 51% hashrate requirement, this is what it would cost you (assuming you were willing to commit to the various pricing levels, and there were enough rigs available at this price) -
- 3 month rental pricing: $96 290 per day ($8.792 million to sustain it over the 3 month period)
- 6 month rental pricing: $72 217 per day ($13.189 million to sustain it over the 6 month period)
- 12 month rental pricing: $48 145 per day ($17.585 million to sustain it over the 12 month period)