- Downloading the tar.bz file. I will assume it is located in the normal "Downloads" directory, and it's name is
monero-mac-x64-v0.10.3.1.tar.bz2. Other names/locations are fine but you'll have to adjust the process accordingly.
- Open Terminal. Easiest way is
⌘+spacebarand type "Terminal", then hit enter.
- Change to the Downloads directory. Type
cd ~/Downloadsand hit enter.
- Get the Sha-256 Checksum. Type
shasum -a 256 monero-mac-x64-v0.10.3.1.tar.bz2and hit enter.
- Compare it with the checksum on the Monero page.
On Linux (tested on Ubuntu 16.04) the command is
sha256sum rather than
shasum -a 256.
On Windows, the command is
pinch nose, scrunch eyes, and hope everything is good as you unzip the file. Just kidding. I don't know the Windows command though.