Is there any criteria which outputs are chosen for a 'mixin' in a transaction?

1 Answer 1


You must choose mix inputs of the same amount as the one you are spending. Other than that there are no restrictions, though it's not a good idea to choose a really recent output (less than 10 blocks old -- you'd also have to modify the daemon and/or wallet to do so).

The wallet currently chooses outputs as follows: 25% are chosen randomly from "recent outs", presently the last five days; the remaining 75% are chosen from older outputs using a triangular distribution. You can see the math starting here.

More research is needed to find a better method/better parameters (there is some doubt an ideal method actually exists).

  • Hey, is the doubt in literature or in Monero research/personal observations? If there's a paper, could you aim me in the right direction for finding it please? :)
    – bekah
    Apr 12, 2017 at 14:59
  • Was there any change in the outputs selection method since the answer was written? Can someone provide the motivation behind the method (why 25%/75%? why triangular distribution?)
    – Jona
    Oct 17, 2017 at 11:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.